Tuesday 8 March 2011

International Women's Day

I planned to write quite a lengthy blog detailing the women in my life who had been influential in one way or another; why I thought it was important to recognise women and I also why I think that in recognising women we shouldn't so "femo-centric" that we forget wholly about men and begin to believe that they are superfluous, because they aren't...but then the day ran away from me. It's now 23:48, I'm extremely tired and I don't really have the energy to blog.

Sad but true lol.

I might write about all that another day...

Anyway here's a poem that I wrote in honour of IWD.

We have been the voiceless, but we are finding our voice
We have been the oppressed, but we are rising up
We have been the overlooked, but we are standing strong
We have been mistreated, but we forgive and are moving on

We are mothers, loving our children like there's nothing else worth loving
We are daughters, learning more as the years go by to appreciate our mothers and are"keeping them young"
We are big sisters, giving advice, lending clothes, doing hair and make-up, keeping an eye on potential suitors
We are little sisters, ever getting put in our place but attempting to listen and make someone proud,
We are wives, submissive yet supportive, virtuous and valiant, lovers and life sharers.
We are galpals, always ready for a round of drinks and a catch-up, never far from the phone with the same shoe size as someone for double the choice

We are united in our plight to be the best we can be.
We are role models for one another.
We are different, we are unique.
We are fighters. We are doers. We are lovers.
We are musicians. We are storytellers. We are nurturers.
We are bumps and curves.
We are loud.
We are quiet.
We are healing words.
We are comforting smiles.
We are anything we want to be.

We are woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment